Starting Off in the Field of Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding: A Self-Study Guide
- First, take a look at some definitions of conflict resolution processes, and some terms commonly used in the field, including alternative dispute resolution, and peacebuilding. These definitions are linked to bibliographies on specific subjects.
- Second, consider going through an on-line course to familiarize yourself with some basic ideas within the field of conflict resolution. If you are an instructor, see Bill Warters' Support Services for Conflict Studies Instructors.
- Third, start your research by looking through bibliographies for titles that seem relevant to your research topic. Try starting at Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding: A Selected Bibliography which is often recommended by professors, and has been used by thousands of students and academics. Be sure to use other research resources including journals. It would also be a good idea to look at Juliana Birkhoff's research suggestions. Then, if you can't find what you're looking for, try getting advice from others in the field of conflict resolution or
peacebuilding through an on-line discussion list.
- Some texts to look at first include (depending on the purpose of your research):
- Avruch, Kevin. Culture and Conflict Resolution Washington, DC: United States Institute for Peace, 1998. See read a review
- Burton, John, and Frank Dukes. Conflict: Practices in Management, Settlement and Resolution. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1990. read a review.
- Deutsch, Morton, and Peter T. Coleman, eds. The Handbook of Conflict Resolution: Theory and Practice San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
- Fisher, Roger, and William Ury, with Bruce Patton. Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In. Second edition. New York: Penguin Books, 1991.
- Folger, Joseph P., and Robert A. Baruch Bush. Designing Mediation: Approaches to Training and Practice within a Transformative Framework. New York : The Institute for the Study of Conflict Transformation, 2001.
- Galtung, Johan. "Cultural violence." Journal of Peace Research 27(3) (1990): 291-305.
- Galtung, Johan. "Violence, Peace, and Peace Research." Journal of Peace Research 6(3)(1969): 167-191.
- Hocker, Joyce L., and William W. Wilmot. Interpersonal Conflict. 4th edition. Madison, WI: Brown and Benchmark, 1995. read a review.
- Kolb, Deborah M., and Judith Williams. Everyday Negotiation: Navigating the Hidden Agendas in Bargaining. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2003.
- Lax, D.A., and J.K. Sebenius. The Manager as Negotiator: Bargaining for Cooperation and Competitive Gain. New York: Free Press, 1986.
- Lederach, John Paul. The Little Book of Conflict Transformation. Intercourse, PA: Good Books, 2003.
- Lederach, John Paul. Building Peace: Sustainable Reconciliation in Divided Societies. Washington, D.C.: United States Institute of Peace Press, 1997.
- Lewicki, Roy J. et al. Essentials of Negotiation. Homewood, IL: Richard D. Irwin, 1996.
- Lewicki, Roy J., David M. Saunders, and John W. Minton. Negotiation: Readings, Exercises, and Cases. Third edition. Columbus, OH: Richard D. Irwin and McGraw Hill, 1999.
- Moore, Christopher W. The Mediation Process: Practical Strategies for Resolving Conflict. Second edition. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1996.
- Pearce, W. Barnett, and Stephen W. Littlejohn. Moral Conflict: When Social Worlds Collide. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications, 1997.
- Schrock-Shenk, Carolyn, ed. Mediation and Facilitation Training Manual: Foundations and Skills for Constructive Conflict Transformation , Fourth edition. Akron,PA: Mennonite Conciliation Service, 2000.
- Susskind, Lawrence E., S. McKearnan, and J. Thomas-Larmer, J., eds. The Consensus Building Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Reaching Agreement. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1999.
- Turek, Laura. Instructor's Manual to accompany Lewicki, Roy J., David M. Saunders, and John W. Minton. Negotiation: Readings, Exercises, and Cases. Third edition. Columbus, OH: Richard D. Irwin and McGraw Hill, 1999.
- Wehr, Paul. Conflict Regulation. Boulder, CO: Westview, 1979.
- Winslade, John, and Gerald Monk. Narrative Mediation: A New Approach to Conflict Resolution. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2000.
- Zartman, I. William and J. Lewis Rasmussen, eds. Peacemaking in International Conflict: Methods and Techniques. Washington, D.C.: United States Institute of Peace Press, 1996.
- Search for more books and articles listed in the Peacemakers Trust bibliography:
- Further study: If you would like to further your studies on conflict resolution or peacebuilding, see some links to educational resources including calendars of conferences and courses, university-based education, and online discussion lists. Before taking a course, read some Criteria for Assessing Courses in Mediation and Conflict Resolution (pdf) developed by the B.C. Mediator Roster Society in Victoria, Canada.
Go to Links to other Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding Resources
Go to Conflict Resolution and Peacebuilding: A Selected Bibliography
Send us Corrections, broken links or comments
Return to Peacemakers Trust Education & Training index
Return to Peacemakers Trust