Humanitarian Action for the People of Iraq
Displaced People in Iraq 2008, co-sponsored by Peacemakers Trust with University of Victoria
Iraq 2007: Humanitarian Action in Stark Relief, co-sponsored by Peacemakers Trust with University of Victoria
Responding in Iraq: Mobilizing Our Community for Humanitarian Action, UVic workshop April 16, 2003
Iraq Peacebuilding Links: Links to organizations, government, laws/policies, analysis, news, and other resources
Return to Iraq Portal
Return to Peacemakers Trust home
The inclusion of a link to a site does not imply endorsement of site contents, nor does it imply any association of the site with Peacemakers Trust.
- AlertNet: Iraq in Turmoil crisis briefings on Iraq. Started in 1997 by Reuters Foundation, Reuters AlertNet is a humanitarian news network based aimed at keeping relief professionals and the wider public up-to-date on humanitarian crises around the globe. It has a network of 400 contributing humanitarian organizations and a weekly email digest. Check for updates regularly.
- ReliefWeb documents on Iraq. Published by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), ReliefWeb is an electronic clearinghouse for information on humanitarian emergencies and natural disasters designed specifically to help the humanitarian community improve its response to emergencies. Check for updates regularly.
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The ICRC has been present in Iraq since 1980. Look for the ICRC's page on International humanitarian law and terrorism: questions and answers Geneva: ICRC, 2001, which can be downloaded for distribution. (For accessible information on IHL, see also the website of Canadian Red Cross Even Wars Have Limits.) ICRC also works to restore contact and exchange of news between separated family members.
- Iraqi Red Crescent Society. See the work of the Iraqi Red Crescent Society on the website of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC).
- Humanitarian Agenda 2015, Feinstein International Center, Tufts University, USA. An "evidence-based research project that identifies the key issues that are likely to impact on humanitarian action in the coming decade, along with the practical implications of these issues for agency programming." Scroll down for reports on Iraq.
- NGOs Coordination Committee for Iraq (NCCI) was established in April 2003 by a group of NGOs working in Baghdad to provide a forum for coordination of NGO efforts.
- The Sphere Project has developed a Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response on relief agencies' standards of independence, effectiveness and impact.
- United Nations Agencies
UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), mandated by UNSC Resolution 1500, 14 August 2003, commencing operations 1 September 2003.
United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) Post-Conflict and Disaster Management Branch
UNESCO information on Iraq
UNHCHR, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
UNHCR, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees
UNICEF in Iraq
UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). See OCHA's IRINNews.org.
- Zunia Knowledge Exchange: Iraq has information and reports on development in Iraq.